This general threefold-rule of noting your food, the circumstances, and your emotions can be broken down to these points:
- situation (lunch at work, coffee with friends, etc.)
- what was eaten (noting your portion is optional)
- feelings of fullness or hunger
- water, caffeine, alcohol, and sodas intake
- physical reactions to food
- your emotional state that triggered your specific food behavior or followed the food intake
- food cravings, even if you decided not to satisfy them.
This list is neither exhaustive nor obligatory: you can modify, add more parameters, or just select the most relevant points to keep track of. Just remember that this tool is for observing, understanding, and correcting, and not about self-judging.
Below, the best apps are listed that can be your handy tool for food journaling without much effort.